Monday, March 21, 2011

Dear Blank, Please Blank


I've often wondered how my kids can spend so much time on the internet, surfing page to page like a longboard rider off the coast of Hawaii. The number of times my daughter has stopped me in my tracks to show me the latest youtube sensation or a new game is too much to remember. And while I do admit I did sign on to play Words with Friends (isn't that really just Scrabble?) after being told about it by my son, for the most part I try and stay away from the mind numbing nothingness that is so prevalent on the internet.

But then yesterday I stumbled upon a site they had left up on my Ipad. It was a site called dear blank please blank and instantly I was hooked. I couldn't stop reading and trying to come up with my own clever messages. Basically it's nothing more than a site that allows users to write a simple note to a selected celebrity, politician, etc., followed by a brief, funny quip and then signed by the appropriate sender. An example I came across:

Dear Nickleback,

That's enough.

Signed, The World


And so for the next two hours I read note after note, running into the bedroom to make my wife listen to every funny message I came across. And each time she gave me the same look I give my children when they do the same...but that's different. And then I came up with a couple myself to submit with a little help from my children. If I make it on, I'll definatley post them. In the mean time, maybe I'll pay a little more attention to what my kids want to show me on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment