Saturday, March 5, 2011

What I've Learned in Two Weeks

Week two is now in the books on my body shaping quest. While I continue to abide by most of the rules, I have been guilty of having a couple cocktails on occasion. But I have greatly modified the amount of wine I was consuming during the week. I found that it wasn't so much that I was drinking for the effect, rather it was more like just the habit of pouring a glass every night around dinner time, usually followed by another one...sometimes two. And although there still is that temptation to pour a nice chardonnay, I find that a glass of soda water with a lime offers me something to sip on without feeling like I'm missing out.

The food part hasn't been too bad. The plan calls for eating six times a day, six days a week using mostly a combination of protein, carbs and veggies and having anything you want on the seventh day. And I mean anything. This is one of the things that makes this so appealing to me because I didn't go into this with the mindset that I cannot have pizza, ice cream or fried foods for the next ninety days. There is always a reward after six days.

Now, about that ninety days. That sure sounds a lot shorter than three months, doesn't it? I mean, I'm only two weeks in and I feel like I've been doing this for a month! But now is the time to fight through. Habits are formed after a minimum of twenty one days and I'm on day fourteen so I realize this is the hard part. But I have seen progress and that is motivating.

In most things I do I try to take something away that I can apply to other areas of my life and this is a big one. We are programmed to want something now. I get that. Having adhered to this plan I really want to start seeing the six pack and bulging arms. And I think that's where people get discouraged. They put the effort in for a short while and not seeing the results they wish, they abort. And I have come to learn that the only people who succeed are those that follow through. Simple as that. Any diet or workout plan out there will work...if you follow it. I look at writing the same way. To complete a novel is time consuming. In fact, probably one of the most time consuming things you can do! But if you set a simple plan and follow it, taking small steps the entire way through, it can be done. And realize there are going to be days you stray a little from your writing schedule, just like I did with the wine. That's OK! Get back at it the next day! Just know the end result. And speaking of results, I have lost six pounds and three quarters of an inch off the waist! I may not see it so much yet, but I know what lies ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment