Monday, March 28, 2011

What I've Learned in Five Weeks


Ah, that point in time when habits are forming and results are actually starting to show. My word count has now reached the 30,000 mark on my novel although I must admit there have been a couple days I missed due to any reasonable excuse I can come up with. But one thing I have found is that I am able to sit down a write when I may be tired or just not feeling it. And that's only because I have learned that by the time I'm fifteen or twenty minutes into it, I'm enjoying it! So I sit and I write. I also know that there are times when what I'm writing is junk and probably wont up up being part of the finished product. But that's OK! That's what the writing process is about and most of all, what the editing process is about.

And the exercise program is going great! Those first four weeks are tough mentally. Probably the hardest part is putting in so much work and effort and expecting to see dramatic results that just aren't there. It's the paper towel theory! And I've said it before, I believe we are programmed to get things instantly and easily and that's just not always the case. Why else would people be making money off things like Thirty Second Abs or Fat Burner pills? Or how about Ninety Days to the Perfect Body? Think that would sell if it was Perfect Body In One Quarter of a Year, which is exactly what it is? But I digress. This past week I was able to look in the mirror and see changes and that is a huge motivator. But I have learned that in any long term program you're in, you have to have faith in the process and listen to people who have been there and know what the end result is. And based on what I've read, I'm not expecting to see the huge results until about the eight week mark. I also try to set up motivators to keep me going. In my writing that may be reading about someone from a critique site that actually has a novel completed or perhaps someone who was just published. And when it comes to exercise, believe it or not, those silly Saturday morning commercials with every gimmicky exercise device or program out there is motivational. Seeing people transform themselves helps keep me going and allows me a glimpse at what the end result of discipline and hard work will get you.

Finally, this week I learned to set small benchmarks and enjoy the ride. You never know where the little things will take you. I had no idea when I started this blog, what the goal was or what my focus would be. In fact, I still really don't! But I know it has kept me going and pushed me to write my six hundred words a day. And it really is rewarding seeing people begin to follow you and actually take time to write comments. And when I decided to really put an effort into studying nutrition and exercise, I had no clue about the world record spin class attempt I was part of this weekend. It was only because of what I started over a month ago and it led to such an amazing experience and I'm sure will lead to more. In fact, I met some people down there who are talking about participating in a sprint triathlon and it looks like I'll be trying it myself! There's a quote by Joseph Campbell that sums this up nicer than I ever could. “When you follow your bliss... doors will open where you would not have thought there would be doors; and where there wouldn't be a door for anyone else.”

No comments:

Post a Comment